Sunday, April 21, 2013

1917 Mar 4 - Leaving Burlington

[Written in red marker-pencil at the top of the page: "Leaving Burlington, Ver."]

Mar 4 1917 Sunday

Today is fast Sunday & believe me I am sure glad I had a big supper last night. I studied for about 3 hours. I then got ready for church, & after church, which was at 4 pm, Sister Griffin invited us down for supper & we were sure glad to have a a chance to go, for we were hungry.

After supper Elder Shumway & I bid them goodbye, called on Sister Blairs & bid them goodbye & then we went down to Coonrades & spent the evening & to bid them goodbye also. I kinda hated to leave them for they were so dear friends to me. They sure have treated me swell & the poor girls, Lois & LaRue, gee they hated to see me go away, for said they, I have grown so dear to them, for I am just like a dear old brother. For myself, I hated to leave them, for they were so much comfort to me and they always were ready to cheer me up when I would get homesick. They would do anything just to get me to laugh. They are sure two dandy girls, & I can tell you it was quite hard for us to say goodbye to each other. But such is missionary life, you no sooner become good friends & learn to know each other, when you have to be separated again.

We went home about 10 pm & beat it to bed. I had a hard time to keep that big old tear out of my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment