Sunday, May 5, 2013

1917 Mar 5 - Arriving in Odgensburg, NY

Mar 5 1917 Monday

We got out of bed at 4 am & took the train at 5in am for Odgensburg. We did not have time for breakfast & so we had to fast till one pm, when we landed in Ogdensburg, where it was snowing & blowing to beat the band. We, Elder Shumway & I, checked our grips at the station & beat it up town to see if we could find a place to room at. We roamed around four hours hunting for a room and I sure thought of home, for it was pleasure for us. The snow was blowing in our faces, cold homeless & friendless & with wet feet we wandered, for the snow was deep.

At last we found a room, which only cost us .75 per week, & the cheapest board we could find was 21 meals for five dollars, so we took that. Now I can tell you, such a day makes you think of my dear old home sweet home in Raymond. Gee I wish I was there again.

Odgensburg is a city of about 25000 people. It is situated on the St. Laurence River, a beautiful place, I believe in the summer, as there are so many trees around. But it doesn't look very encouraging now to a person, as it is so awfully cold & the snow is so deep. Give me Canada, or rather, Raymond. For mine, well, I'm going to bed.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment