Sunday, May 27, 2012

1917 Feb 6 - To Vermont

Feb 6, 1917 Tues

I had my breakfast early, packed my suitcase and left New York at 1040 a.m. for Vermont where I am to Labor. My ticket cost me $8.60. Travelled all day, landed in Vermont at 815 pm. Two of the Elders were at the station to meet me (Elder Hatch and Elder Lymon). Went to our room and had supper which was a Batchlars meal, mush, butter and bread, but it tasted good to me as I was hungry. After supper went out visited a family of saints, Mrs Blair's.

[Note: An entry from Mar 4 1917 has "Leaving Burlington, Ver" written at the top of the page in red highlight pencil, suggesting that his first area of service was the city of Burlington, Vermont.]

University of Vermont has compiled several postcards from early-20th-century Burlington which help illustrate what the city would have looked like at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment